So everyone who is driving a 4 wheeler will have a common doubt that “What happens if you shift your Car Gear to Reverse in high Speed ?”, even i have this, so have done a small research in internet to find out the problems that happens if we do so.
While i was driving my XUV once i shifted to Reverse instead of going to 6th gear, i got an irritating dgrinding and cracking sound while i am in 80 KMPH speed which clearly says that will break your gearbox because of gear teeth rubbing as well as heat generation, but luckily it night stopped my speed no reversed the forward direction of my path.
When i researched technically about the gear system for 4 wheeler i came to know that
- There is a gear known as the MDGear that comes from the engine and it is always rotating in one direction only
- There is another shaft in the gear box known as the counter shaft on which the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th gears are located
- The MDGear meshes with these 4 gears with the help of dog teeth depending upon the gear that we have chosen
- The fifth gear is basically direct transmisiion and it has more than 1:1 gear ration which is also called as overdrive
- When coming to Reverse gear, the md shaft rotates in the same direction but there is something known as an idle gear which helps in reversing the direction of motion
Remember, all the things that i discussed her is all about the Manual gear system, not the automatic transmission